Ironwood® Sienna Sleepers
Ironwood® Sienna Sleepers utilize a new colour treatment technology which penetrates into the wood cells, creating a beautiful looking timber sleeper with a rich red brown finish similar to some hardwoods.
This treatment is a non-arsenic based preservative, making Ironwood Sienna Sleepers suitable for use in both residential and commercial environments including sensitive applications such as playgrounds, vegetable gardens and sandpits.
A renewable resource produced in Australia from sustainably grown Australian plantation pine, Ironwood® Sienna Sleepers are a positive environmental choice in harmony with our natural landscape.
Features & Benefits
- Suitable for sensitive applications such as playgrounds, vegetable gardens and sandpits.
- Low maintenance with an innovative colour system, there is no need to paint or stain on installation.
- Suitable for above ground and in-ground use.
- Kiln dried.
- H4 treated incised timber technology assists the penetration and retention of preservative chemicals into the timber, ensuring protection against fungal decay and termite attack resulting in a better treated sleeper.
- Produced in Australia from sustainably grown Australian plantation pine.
This product comes with a guarantee from Koppers Performance Chemicals. Conditions apply. See kopperspc.com.au for details.
This technical guide provides an overview of designing and detailing timber elements for maximum life, containing information to help specifiers, builders and trade professionals understand the special considerations required when selecting timber to be used in external applications.
This technical data sheet provides information on Protim Solignum Timber Care products and other important topics.
This guide provides information to help architects, designers, builders and owners understand the Construction of Building in Bushfire Prone Areas Standard AS 3959 and in particular the construction requirements for using traditional timber building methods for each Bushfire Attack Level (BAL).
Ironwood Sleepers are typically used in external landscape applications such as low retaining walls and garden edging or borders.
The Ironwood Sleeper range is not structurally graded and when used in applications that require local authority building approval or engineer certification, we recommend that users consult an independent engineer or landscape architect.
Local building authorities generally do not require building approval or engineer certification for retaining walls up to a height of one metre; however, walls greater than one metre as well as those of any height which are within 1.5 metres of a building or dwelling will, in the majority of cases, require building approval and/or certification from an engineer, in any case you should check your local council laws.
- Sleepers must be supported at both ends and at 1200mm (max) intervals along the length of the board and posts should be placed in front of sleepers for increased support.
- Sleepers should only be installed on the narrow edge (i.e. 50mm or 75mm side). They are not recommended for use in horizontal applications where sleepers are positioned on the wide edge (i.e. 200mm side) i.e. capping, stair treads or boardwalks.
- Sleepers should be tightly constrained when used in conjunction with H section galvanised steel posts. They should be constrained in the steel channel and it is also recommended to chock either treated timber or plastic wedges between the sleepers and the steel channel on the backside of the wall for a more finished look. This should ensure that sleepers are tightly aligned to the front of the steel channel and reduce potential twisting, as well as limiting movement once installation is complete.
- Post holes should have a 100mm layer of coarse gravel to assist with drainage.
- A drainage pipe should be installed at the base of retaining or garden walls and extend to a free draining outlet (not a storm water drain).
- Geotextile fabric may be used on the inside face of the wall to prevent backfill soil from flowing through spaces in wall and to assist with drainage. The use of plastic sheeting for a retaining wall is not recommended as it can lead to water build up, resulting in wall collapse.
- Ironwood Sienna Sleepers are preferred for use in vegetable gardens due to its non-arsenic treatment. If CCA treated sleepers are used in a vegetable garden bed a plastic film barrier to separate the soil coming into contact with the surface of sleepers is highly recommended.
- Adequate drainage is recommended for environments that contain high levels of ground water in order to prolong the service life of sleepers.
Construction Recommendations (for walls under one metre)
Ironwood Sienna Sleepers are a wet after-treatment product, meaning they generally have higher moisture content at time of installation than seasoned timber products. As a result, they may be subject to greater levels of movement and distortion if not properly constrained during construction.
For required member size and post embedment depths, please refer to the Garden Wall and Retaining Wall Technical Data Sheets at the bottom of this page.
Treatment & Durability
Ironwood Sienna Sleepers are treated with MicroPro® micronized based preservative, making them suitable for use in both residential and commercial environments including sensitive applications such as playgrounds, vegetable gardens and sandpits. Ironwood Classic Sleepers are CCA treated and are not suitable for sensitive applications.
The treatments used for Ironwood Sleepers protect against fungal decay and insect attack but not from weathering. Ironwood Sleepers cannot be submerged in fresh or salt water applications as a higher level of treatment is required.
This product comes with a guarantee from Koppers Performance Chemicals. Conditions apply. See www.kopperspc.com.au for details.
Suitable for use in all regions of Australia.
Produced in Australia from sustainably grown Australian plantation pine.
Program for Endorsement of Forest Certification (PEFC) certificate is available upon request.
Ironwood Sienna Sleepers are coloured a rich red brown for ease of identification and is branded with its treatment preservative, hazard level and treatment plant number by way of an end tag or pack label.
In any application where Ironwood Sleepers have been cut, notched, rebated or drilled the exposed area should be resealed with an appropriate reseal product. Such as PROTIM® SOLIGNUM® CN TIMBER OIL. This is a copper-based solvent/oil formulation that is green in colour. This will ensure the treatment envelope remains intact and provides the best long term protection.
If a paint system is to be applied after resealing, allow time for the CN oil to be absorbed into the timber and then follow paint manufacturers recommendations.
For more information about PROTIM® Solignum® Timber Care please refer to the Technical Data Sheet available from Koppers Performance Chemicals.
Fixings & Fasteners
For normal applications all fasteners and fixings that will be in contact with preservative treated pine should be hot dipped galvanised. In harsh environments such as those close to the salt water, stainless steel or similar fixings should be used.
When handling and working with Ironwood Sienna Sleepers, users are recommended to wear gloves, dust masks, ear protection and safety glasses at all times. Please refer to above Material Safety Data Sheet (MSDS) for full details.
Off-cuts can be disposed of as normal landfill waste. Do not burn treated timbers. Please refer to Material Safety Data Sheet (MSDS) for full details.